Grants must be limited to a reasonable estimate of the cost of the grant-funded activities.
Grants may be issued to support only the costs associated with the development, delivery or evaluation of the educational program, resources, or materials.
Items not considered for funding include:
- Travel, lodging, honoraria, registration expenses or personal expenses for attendees
- Compensation for attendees
- Lavish venues or meals (time at the meals or receptions should be subordinate to the amount of time spent at the educational activities of the meeting). Meals provided to attendees in conjunction with a program should be modest and in a manner conducive to a group educational environment (e.g., buffet).
- Grants may not cover solely the cost of meals. It is acceptable for a portion of a grant to cover meals/refreshments only if the meals/refreshments are (i) modest and conducive to discussion among faculty and healthcare professional attendees, and (ii) allow primary focus to remain on the educational portion of the event funded by the grant.
- Operating expenses (e.g., equipment, salaries, benefits, journal subscriptions, textbooks, business meetings, etc)
- Staff/professional development
- Retroactive support
- Entertainment, sporting or social events
- Advertising space
- Promotional exhibits or display space
- Consulting or other services or goods provided to Celgene
- Programs where any of the speakers are Celgene employees (if accredited)
- Grants to any individual healthcare provider or group of doctors in private practice
- Other costs that are neither reasonable nor customary
Please click on the link to access a standardized budget template. The budget template was developed to help consistently categorize the financial components of an educational intervention from activity planning to continuous assessment and reconciliation. Use of the template is not mandatory at this time.
Recipients of funding are required to submit a completed budget and outcomes reconciliation and return any unused funds over $100 to Celgene.